Skip to main content

Sunday Funday: Book Haul

In an earlier post this week I mentioned that I was going to Ollie's Bargain Outlet to see what bargains I could find on books.  I ended up coming home with six books - four hardback and two paperback - all for less than the price of a single new trade paperback book.  I found:

I Hate You, Kelly Donahue by Mark Svartz - I've already read this hilarious title (a review will be coming shortly).  I can't resist an interesting design/ format and this fits that criteria.  It's appears to be a handwritten spiral bound journal focusing on the narrator's intense hatred of Kelly Donahue and what he plans to do about it.


Dust City by Robert Paul Weston - Sounds like it could be a fun fairy tale retelling featuring the Big Bad Wolf and I love a good retelling.


Department Nineteen by Will Hill - This series has been recommended to me multiple times.  A supernatural police force founded by Van Helsing?  This sounds like it's right up my alley!


Dork Diaries: Tales from a Not-So-Fabulous Life by Rachel Renee Russell - I've been wanting to check out the female counterpart to Diary of a Wimpy Kid.  I think I'll be happy if it's anywhere near as good.


Harbinger by Sara Wilson Etienne - It's sounds like a good combination of dark and weird, plus the cover is intriguing.


Nightmare City by Andrew Klavan - This sounds like it could be a fantastic horror mystery - somewhere along the lines of The Mist by Stephen King.


Bonus book:  Today, a coworker let me borrow her copy of The Woman He Loved: The Story of the Duchess of Windsor by Ralph G. Martin - a biography of Wallis Simpson and King Edward VIII, a fascinating pair in a fascinating time period.



I thought I would share my most interesting customer interaction of the week.  Yesterday, an older gentlemen approached me with a question while I was working with kitchen and bath caulking.  I expected his question to involve the paint department in some way since that's my department and his current location.  However, this was what he asked:  "I have a candle that I like to set beside a light bulb, but when I put it too close to the light bulb, it melts.  What should I do so my candle won't melt?  Is there anything I can buy that would prevent that?"  And, he said it with a completely straight face.  Sometimes, I have a hard time telling when someone's joking, but this man wasn't.  He was asking in complete earnest.  I just don't know about some people...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Nightmare Before Christmas Book Tag

Top Ten Tuesday: Bingeworthy TV Shows

Top Ten Tuesday: 2015 Releases I Meant To Get To But Didin't