Skip to main content

The Friday 56 (With Book Beginnings): Witch Hunt by S.M. Reine



Welcome to The Friday 56, a weekly meme hosted by Freda's Voice.

These are the rules:

1. Grab a book, any book.
2. Turn to page 56, or 56% on your eReader.
3. Find any sentence (or a few, just don't spoil it) that grabs you.
4. Post it.
5. Add the URL to your post in the link on Freda's most recent Friday 56 post.



I'm also taking part in Book Beginnings, a weekly meme hosted by Rose City Reader.  The rules are pretty simple - you share the first sentence or so and your initial thoughts, impressions, or whatever else it inspires.  Don't forget to link up your post's url with Rose City Reader.



This week I'm spotlighting my current Kindle read, Witch Hunt (Preternatural Affairs #1) by S.M. Reine.  So far it's an entertaining and urban fantasy introducing the world of Cesar Hawke and the Office of Preternatural Affairs.

Book Beginnings:

Hell of a Night.

It was my first thought when I peeled my eyelids open--an immediate precursor to "everything hurts" and "screw tequila, I'm never drinking alcohol again."  My mouth was dry like I'd licked that brown apartment carpeting that every sadistic landlord inflicts on his tenants, including me.  My muscles were petrified into knots.

56:

"Hey, Monique," I said.  "How's business?"

She gave me a flat look.  Literally a flat look.  No nose, no eyebrows, barely any lips.  All of her looks were flat.  But this one  was especially unimpressed, like I'd just asked to borrow money from her.


Comments

  1. R two good quotes. I like the caustic-ness of the attitude, and who hasn't woken up like that at least once, although in my world it's always been peachy beige carpet. Hope you'll be stopping by. http://ebogie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting! Those two quotes really set the tone. :)

      Delete
  2. LOVE the description in the opening and in the 56. You can definitely tell he's suffering. And I can just see Monique's flat look. I'd like to get to know this character better. This sounds like a story I'd enjoy.
    My Friday post features THE SNOW CHILD.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting! I can really visualize that expression too! :D

      Delete
  3. Oh, I love the descriptions...and I can almost see Monique's "flat" look from how it is described.

    And I have had that feeling in the morning, too....LOL

    Here's mine: “SOMEONE IS WATCHING”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing. This author really excels at the describing the scene!

      Delete
  4. Great quotes! It definitely sounds like it was a hell of a night! Enjoy your read!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like an exciting read, but I love the quote at the top of your page about Gaiman! Awesome!
    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beginning, it definitely sounds exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. There's nothing better than starting a new series. Enjoy!

    Thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I give that same look when people ask me for money too. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Nightmare Before Christmas Book Tag

The French Connection by Robin Miller - Review

Top Ten Tuesday: Bingeworthy TV Shows