Skip to main content

The Friday 56 (With Book Beginnings): Caraval (Caraval #1) by Stephanie Garber + 50/50 Friday


Welcome to The Friday 56, a weekly meme hosted by Freda's Voice.

These are the rules:
1. Grab a book, any book.
2. Turn to page 56, or 56% on your eReader.
3. Find any sentence (or a few, just don't spoil it) that grabs you.
4. Post it.
5. Add the URL to your post in the link on Freda's most recent Friday 56 post.


I'm also taking part in Book Beginnings, a weekly meme hosted by Rose City Reader.  The rules are pretty simple - you share the first sentence or so and your initial thoughts, impressions, or whatever else it inspires.  Don't forget to link up your post's url with Rose City Reader.


This week I'm spotlighting a book I've just started and I'm already loving, Caraval (Caraval #1) by Stephanie Garber.  As soon as I heard that this novel was being compared to one of my all time favorites, The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern, I knew I had to try this novel.  Let's just say that I'm very happy to have finally joined the party!

Beginning: 

It took seven years to get the letter right.

56:

Up close the sand looked fluffier.  Fluffier, and now that thought about it, much more like snow.  More than she'd ever seen on Trisda.  Resting clouds of magical white, a cold carpet stretched across the entire shore.


This week I'm also taking part in a brand new linkup called 50/50 Friday, which is hosted by Carrie @ The Butterfly Reader and Laura @ Blue Eye Books.  Every week they'll have a new topic featuring two sides of the same coin - this week the topic is Best/ Worst Debut Novel.

Best:


The Girl from Everywhere by Heidi Heilig - Easily a favorite debut from 2016!  If you haven't read this yet, what have you been doing?!

Worst:


The Art of Not Breathing by Sarah Alexander - This was definitely one of my more disappointing 2016 debuts.  It's one of those where the concept and premise is much better than the overall execution.

Comments

  1. I love the Night Circus, too, so I should look for Caravel. My favorite debut from last year was The Serpent King by Zentner. My least favorite was The Mystery of Hollow Places.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Caraval is excellent so far - I'd love to know what you think of it. I've been meaning to try The Serpent King. I've heard nothing but good things about it.

      Delete
  2. Caravel seems to be a love it or hate it book thus far. I thought I really wanted it but I want to see how others receive it a bit more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't fault you there. :)

      Thanks for visiting, Nathan!

      Delete
  3. I just started Caraval, I've only read the first chapter but it hasn't been disappointing so far!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I liked both your snippets. The 56 really made the scene come to life in my mind. I'd love for you and your readers to check out mine . . . http://tinyurl.com/LisaKsBookReviewsWTGHTF

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love that cover for The Girl From Everywhere. Enjoy the weekend.
    sherry @ fundinmental Friday Memes

    ReplyDelete
  6. I still haven't read The Night Circus. This week I am spotlighting The Cutaway by Christina Kovac. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should definitely try it sometime, Kathy! Thanks for sharing!

      Delete
  7. I've been noticing Caraval all around...hope you are enjoying it.

    Here's mine: “NEVER CHANGE”

    ReplyDelete
  8. I never made it through Night Circus so I am not sure if I would like Carnival or not but I am curious. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It isn't quite the same, but it certainly has a similar tone. I'd certainly be interested to know what you think of it.

      Delete
  9. I agree about the 56 - really vivid. Thanks for sharing. The Undoing Project is my Friday book.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I absolutely adore the first line to Caraval, such a magical book!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I want to read Caraval! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I liked The Night Circus, so I'll have to keep an eye out for this one.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can't wait to read Caraval! All of the quotes/excerpts/reviews I've seen are all awesome.

    The Girl from Everywhere has been on my list for a while and it looks so good! I'm really glad you liked it; if you liked it, I definitely will! Thanks for linking up, Lauren!

    Laura @BlueEyeBooks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem! I really hope you get to try Heilig, I bet you will love her work!

      Delete
  14. I've heard nothing but great things about The Girl from Everywhere. I so need to just bite the bullet and read this one! Great choice!

    Carrie @ The Butterfly Reader

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Nightmare Before Christmas Book Tag

The French Connection by Robin Miller - Review

Top Ten Tuesday: Bingeworthy TV Shows